financIal aid - Student rightsELAC > Admissions and Records> Financial Aid
The Students at a Los Angeles Community College applying for and receiving financial aid have a right to the following:
1. Information on all financial assistance available which includes all federal, state and institutional financial aid program.
2. Knowledge of all deadlines for applications of each financial aid program and for any supporting documentation.
3. Specific information regarding fees, tuition, and the refund policy for those student who drop out of school.
4. An explanation of how students are selected for receipt of financial aid and how financial need is determined. This process includes a consideration of costs of tuition and fees, room and board, supplies, personal and miscellaneous expenses, child care, etc., plus the student's assets, parental contribution, other financial aid (such as scholarships) and so on.
5. Knowledge of what resources are considered in the calculation of student need. This includes all items mentioned in #4.
6. Knowledge of how your financial aid package has been determined.
7. An explanation of the various programs awarded in the student's financial aid package. If a student feels he/she has been treated unfairly, a reconsideration of the award may be requested .
8. An explanation of the portion of financial aid the student received that must be repaid and what portion is grant aid or work study and does not need to be repaid. If the aid is a loan, the student has the right to know what the interest rate is, the total amount to be repaid, when the repayment is to begin and the conditions of deferment and cancellation.
9. Knowledge of how the Los Angeles Community College District determines whether students are making "satisfactory progress" and what happens if they are not.
10. Knowledge of what facilities are available for handicapped students.
Right to Appeal
Students have the right to challenge or appeal their financial aid award or any other decision of the Financial Aid Office pertaining to them which does not fall under the jurisdiction of federal or state regulations. The right includes answers to questions, explanations of policies and decisions, and requests for consideration.
Student must take responsibility for:
1. Reviewing and considering all information about the Los Angeles Community College District academic programs before they enroll.
2. Completing all the application forms ACCURATELY AND COMPLETELY and submitting them to the right place on time. If this is not done, aid could be delayed for months since errors cause misunderstanding and misrepresentation of information provided.
Errors must be corrected before any financial aid can be received. Intentional misreporting of information on application forms for federal financial aid is a violation of the law and is considered a criminal offense subject to penalties under the U.S. Criminal Code, and subjects the student's application to denial. Additionally, regulations require that all cases of suspected fraud, emanating from misrepresentation, be reported to the Office of the Inspector General.
3. Promptly returning all additional documentation, verification, corrections and/or new information requested by either the Financial Aid Office or the agency or agencies to which an application was submitted.
4. Reading and understanding all forms that the student is asked to sign. (Students should keep a copy of everything they sign or submit for a signature, as it is legal and binding. It is a good idea to start a special file of these documents as they are important and students will need them for years to come).
5. Notifying the lender (if the student has a loan) of changes in name address or school status.
6. Performing the work that is agreed upon in accepting a college works study award.
7. Knowing and complying with the deadlines for application or reapplication for aid.
8. Knowing and complying with the Los Angeles Community College District's refund policy.
9. Repaying financial aid funds if it is determined that the student was ineligible to receive the funds.