Step 1: FAFSA application
Students who wish to be considered for financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application will allow students to apply for most of the federal and state aid. By going to www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will:
- Students/Parents should apply for PIN # at www.pin.ed.gov
- Less than 24 hrs after you applied, your PIN will be sent to your email.
- You can complete the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Please make sure to include ELAC's School Code (001222) in Section H.
- If applied with the PIN #, you will get your SAR within 1 week
- If applied through mail, you will get your SAR in 2 to 3 weeks
Step 2: Required and Additional Documentation:
All financial aid students are required to submit the following documents to complete their process:
Required Documentation: form is available on-line within the SIS system under "Online Forms"
- Financial Aid Processing School - you must select your financial aid processing school within the LACCD. This is the school that you will complete your educational goal, enroll complete majority of your course works, and receive your financial aid funds from.
- Educational Goal - you must have an eligible educational goal to be eligible to receive financial aid.
- Student Authorization Form - you need to let the campus know if you are authorizing the campus to deduct any outstanding balance from your financial aid disbursement. Campus has a right to hold your financial aid disbursement until all outstanding balance is resolved.
Information provided on the SAR is routinely verified via a federally mandated data match system. Items included in the matching process are:
- social security number
- date of birth
- selective service status
- DHS status
- citizenship status
- default and overpayment status on Title IV funds
Any student with a SAR indicating certain information not passing the data match(es) will receive a tracking letter from Financial Aid Office requesting documentation to clear the match(es).
The Department of Education randomly selects students to complete the Verification process. If you are selected, you will be required to submit some or all of the following documentation:
- Verification Work-Sheet
- Copy of your, your spouse (if applicable), and/or your parents' most recent Federal Tax Transcript (1040. 1040A, or 1040EZ)
- Verification of High School Graduation
- Copy of Driver License or government issued identity card
- Verification of Household resources included untaxed income
- Transcripts from other college(s) attended
Your financial aid eligibility is determined after all the required documentation is received and your file is completed. After approximately 3 to 4 weeks, your Financial Aid Award information will be displayed in the campus SIS system specifying the type of awards and amounts for which you are eligible.
Step 3: Financial Aid Award Notification
All official notification will be through the LACCD email system. You will receive an email notification in regarding to your financial aid awards.
You must review the information on the campus SIS system in regarding to your Financial Aid Award, if there is a question, please visit the financial aid office for clarification.
Students who wish to apply for loan must submit a separate request after they receive their award letter. The request form is in the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office. Once your request is approved for the Loan programs, you will receive a revised award letter. You must accept and return the signed award letter to the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office within 10 days of the letter to activate the individual program process.
Students who wish to apply for Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program must sign up through the priority on-line form in the SIS system. The on-line form is available normally during the last week of June through the first week of July. The FWS award is based on first come first serve. Students must meet the eligibilities requirement to be eligible for FWS.
Please see additional program information under the programs link.
Step 4: Financial Aid Disbursement
To qualified for financial aid disbursement, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in the qualified number of units for eligible financial aid program. (please see program requirements)
- Be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirement
- Not be in default on a federal student loan
- Have remain eligibility from the Financial Aid Programs
Approximately 2 to 3 weeks after your financial aid awards is displayed in the SIS system and your enrolled courses are in session, your financial aid funds will be applied to any outstanding balance, if applicable; any remaining funds will be deposited into your "myLACCDcard" accounts.
Please see disbursement schedule for more disbursement dates and deadlines.